Waiting for page to load...
Smiling man and woman working together on their computer at home.

Authorizing Third Parties to Act on Your Behalf

Book Illustration Heart illustration Person illustration

On occasion, you may engage a third party to work with you and your student loans. If so, we require proper authorization from you before we provide your loan information to a third party or allow them to take action on your account. We don't want anyone acting on your behalf without your permission. This is one of the ways we try to protect your privacy and prevent financial harm.

What's the difference between an Information Release Consent form and a power of attorney?

Information Release Consent

An Information Release Consent form authorizes Great Lakes to release information regarding your student loan account to a third party (your representative), but does not authorize your representative to take action on your behalf.

Power of Attorney

A power of attorney specifies what actions an authorized third party (your agent) may take, including receiving your account information. Once you've granted this authority to your agent, your agent may act without obtaining additional permission from you unless you withdraw the power of attorney.

Information Release Consent (which is your responsibility).

Power of Attorney (which is both your responsibility and of the Agent/Third Party).

Agent's Certification as to the Validity of Power of Attorney (which is the responsibility of the Agent/Third Party).

NOTE: You may withdraw your information release consent or power of attorney at any time. Contact us and we'll remove it from our system.


If a borrower is deceased, immediate family members may act on the borrower's behalf without a power of attorney if they provide a valid death certificate. (Note: Immediate family members include the student named on the Parent PLUS loan, as well as spouses, domestic partners, children, parents and siblings of the borrower.)

The following third parties do not require an Agent Certification to be submitted with a power of attorney:

  • References listed on the master promissory note (MPN)
  • Individuals participating in Administrative Wage Garnishment (AWG) hearings on behalf of borrowers
  • Approved Private Collection Agencies
  • Prospective employers performing background checks on borrowers

What do I do in the event of any unauthorized activity by a third party on my student loan account?

Contact us immediately and we'll investigate the incident. If there is a power of attorney or Information Release Consent form on file authorizing the third party to act on your behalf, we will remove the authorization and do what we can to reverse any action taken on your account.

Get in Touch

Have a social account and have a question? Send us a message. We're here to help. You can chat with us a few ways:

You can also log in or visit our Contact Us page to contact a representative.

Did you enjoy this topic? Share!