Think back to when you first got started in your career—how did it feel to navigate new territory on your own? Was there a leader who provided guidance and helped you find your way? If so, it might be time for you to return the favor and take on a mentoring role of your own. Find out how you can help out the next wave of leaders—and learn something yourself along the way—with these simple tips.
- Keep Your Mind (and Eyes) Open. Have you decided to start mentoring? Congrats! Now's the time to be on the lookout for opportunities to share your knowledge. Keep in mind that you don't have to follow the typical established-vs.-new employee model. As a mentor, you know things that others don't—even your peers.
- Set Clear Expectations. Meet informally with your new mentee and get to know each other as you get started. Tell them what you expect out of your relationship, and ask them what they hope to gain as well. Think about setting some goals and success milestones to make sure you keep moving forward.
- Practice Patience and Listening. While it may seem easy to talk as a teacher, sometimes it's better to just listen. Hear your mentee's opinion and understand their point-of-view before offering advice.
- Share Your Connections. Just because you've taken on a person as a mentee doesn't mean you're the only one who can help them grow. Introduce your own network and contacts to enhance their options and open new doors.
- Never Stop Learning. Just because you've taken on a mentoring role doesn't mean you should give up your own personal mentor. In order to stay at the top of your mentoring game, continue building your network and taking advice from those you've come to trust. The chain of learning from others around you never stops!
Want to Learn More?
Mentoring is more than just teaching someone ways in which regulations are administered or how to best work with students. Mentors groom new leaders to be the visionaries of tomorrow encouraging their success. If you'd like to learn more about mentoring relationships and how to foster one that's beneficial for both parties, join us for our Guiding the Leaders of Tomorrow through Effective Mentoring SmartSessions™ Training Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. Central. We look forward to helping you share your expertise!