What Does Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation — “Great Lakes” — Do with Your Personal Information?
Financial companies choose how they share your personal information. Federal law gives consumers the right to limit some but not all sharing. Federal law also requires us to tell you how we collect, share, and protect your personal information. Please read this notice carefully to understand what we do.
The types of personal information we collect and share depend on the product or service you have with us. This information can include:
- Social Security number and account balances
- Payment history and income
- Transaction history and credit history
When you are no longer our customer, we continue to share your information as described in this notice.
All financial companies need to share customers’ personal information to run their everyday business. In the section below, we list the reasons financial companies can share their customers’ personal information; the reasons Great Lakes chooses to share; and whether you can limit this sharing.
|Reasons we can share your personal information||Does Great Lakes share?||Can you limit this sharing?|
|For our everyday business purposes — such as to process your transactions, maintain your account(s), respond to court orders and legal investigations, or report to credit bureaus.||Yes||No|
|For our marketing purposes — to offer our products and services to you||No||We don’t share|
|For joint marketing with other financial companies||No||We don’t share|
|For our affiliates’ everyday business purposes — information about your transactions and experiences||Yes||No|
|For our affiliates’ everyday business purposes — information about your creditworthiness||No||We don’t share|
|For non-affiliates to market to you||No||We don’t share|
Who we are
Who is providing this notice?
Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation — “Great Lakes”
How does Great Lakes protect my personal information?
To protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use, we use security measures that comply with federal law. These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and buildings.
How does Great Lakes collect my personal information?
We collect your personal information, for example, when you
- Open an account or give us your contact information
- Pay your bills or apply for a loan
- Pay us by check
Why can’t I limit all sharing?
Federal law gives you the right to limit only:
- sharing for affiliates’ everyday business purposes — information about your creditworthiness
- affiliates from using your information to market to you
- sharing for non-affiliates to market to you
- Companies related by common ownership or control. They can be financial and nonfinancial companies.
- Great Lakes’ affiliates are Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation, Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Inc., United Student Aid Funds, Inc., Northwest Education Loan Association, Northstar Education Services, LLC and Northstar Guarantee Inc.
- Companies not related by common ownership or control. They can be financial and nonfinancial companies.
- Great Lakes does not share with non-affiliates so they can market to you.
- Joint marketing
- A formal agreement between nonaffiliated financial companies that together market financial products or services to you.
- Great Lakes doesn’t jointly market.